Sunday, November 7, 2010

Turkey Chili


I’ve received a couple of versions of this recipe from different people.  It’s a favorite of many friends and family. 
I’ve modified the recipe a few times.  Sometimes I use stewed tomatoes and sometimes I’ll use different flavorings of diced tomatoes like Roasted Garlic Diced Tomatoes.  I’ve used canned corn and I’ve used frozen corn.  I’ve added Two Sisters Gourmet Outrageously Garlic seasoning and Two Sisters Gourmet Tearless Onion & Chives seasoning.  

Seasoning Website:

Yesterday I was at a Pampered Chef party and the consultant demonstrated how to use one of those Pampered Chef Food Choppers.  While chopping the onions today, I really wished I had one of those food choppers as my eyes watered.  I think my nephews wished I had one of those when they came into the kitchen to get a snack.  
For those that need Beano with chili, and you know who you are, make sure you have it on hand.

Turkey Chili

Olive Oil
1 TBSP crushed garlic or more if you love garlic  
1 onion chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1 pkg chili seasoning (I use McCormick Original Chili Seasoning Mix)
1 large 28 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 can pinto beans, not drained
1 can black beans, not drained
1 can kidney beans, not drained
1 can corn, drained (or 1 Cup frozen corn)

Saute’ onion and garlic in olive oil until they start to brown. Add the turkey and brown then season with salt and pepper. Add the chili powder (depending on which chili powder you use, the directions will tell you whether to add water or not).  Add the beans and the corn.  Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Suggested toppings:
Cilantro
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack or other)

Other serving ideas:
Pour over a baked potato.
Two of my nieces like to put sour cream in the chili and dip tortilla chips in it.
Drain some of the liquid and pour over a block of cream cheese and dip tortilla chips in it.
Drain some of the liquid and add to a quesadilla, taco or burrito.
 


3 comments:

  1. And double the recipe so that your sister does not have to cook for awhile and will have leftovers for quick dinners!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be back on the 20th! I'll put you on the wait list for house visits. LOL I think you're 3rd or 4th in line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uuuuhhhhh....... no I am NOT! I am #1!!!!

    ReplyDelete