Thursday, November 18, 2010

Flat Iron Steak (or Tri Tip) with Red Wine Sauce

The adventures of cooking with cousin Dianna continue.  This time we are in Uncle Norm’s kitchen with red wine and no wine opener.  Of course it has to be a fake cork, not a real cork.  We start out with knives to try to cut / push the cork through, then moved to a metal skewer.  Uncle Norm decides to use needle nose pliers, it took awhile but it worked!  Just in time to add to the recipe.  Yes, I continued to cook as they worked on the cork. 

I did not use a grill or a bbq, I just fried it in the pan.  I used the same pan the steaks were fried in to sauté the onions in butter.  If you happen to like well done steak or almost well done, sticking the medium rare steak in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time works pretty well.  

Round two, two days later with a wine opener because this time we are at my cousin Dianna’s house.   Now her family gets to try the steak.  We are using Tri-Tip instead of Flat Iron, a Tempranillo wine instead of a Merlot, and a yellow onion instead of a white onion.

I am so excited, there is a Pampered Chef Chopper, yet, bummed because the recipe calls for thinly sliced not chopped onions…sorry eyeballs (refer to Turkey Chili adventure)!   Two reasons for teary eyes, oh well.  Do you think my cousin and her family will miss the 2nd cup of red wine in the recipe? ;)  Oh ya, the cousin has had this recipe before...two days ago. 

Ok, next challenge, the measurements on the measuring cups have worn off.  I’m pretty sure I know which is which, but still…I think we all know what she needs to get for Christmas…a label maker!  Ok, ok, a label maker might be a bit much, maybe just a permanent marker.   Oh man, she tried that and it didn't work.  I guess she'll have to settle for a new set of measuring cups.  The non stick pan vs my uncle’s not so non stick pan was wonderful!  Nothing is burning or sticking to the bottom of the pan.  So happy!

If you only have 2 cups of dry red wine because it was leftover from drinking the other night, add ½ cup of sweet wine that was leftover.

Recipe Link:

Flat Iron Steak


Tri Tip 
Thanks to my cousin Dianna who put together the food on the plate!  Beautiful!




4 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! Can't wait to try it, and the presentation is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really good recipe! Dianna did a great job on the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last picture looks so gourmet, not just in the presentation but the steak looked perfectly done, the color is wonderful - and I don't even normally eat beef.

    Nice description, I can almost hear your voice in it. I dislike fake corks too but they are less likely to fall apart and into the wine when you don't have a proper opener. So maybe a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin did a great job on the presentation. I'm getting used to cooking steak correctly and not over cooking it.

    I'm really having fun with the writing. Thanks! Good point regarding the cork.

    ReplyDelete